MagsBC offers a Full Membership to qualifying magazine and e-magazine publishers.
Affiliate, Associate or Supporting Memberships are available for allied partners, students, magazine contributors and other supporters interested in magazine publishing.
Membership benefits include professional development, advocacy, a membership directory, marketing initiatives and job postings. Read more about the benefits of becoming a member here.
For full descriptions of all membership categories please see the MABC bylaws (last updated June 2012).
Full membership is available to publishers of a British Columbia magazine, journal, e-zine or other periodical of a cultural, social, economic, political or artistic nature that meets the following criteria:
1. Publishing activities based primarily in British Columbia;
2. Effective managerial and editorial control in the hands of British Columbians; and financial control in the hands of Canadians;
3. Uses the original work of Canadian writers, artists or photographers as a substantial part of its editorial content;
4. Has, for a period of twelve months prior to its application, established regular frequency of publication;
5. Has maintained accepted standards of editorial and production quality;
6. Subscribes to and is willing to work on behalf of the objectives of the Association;
7. Submits a complete Annual Information Form, pays the requisite membership fee, and submits one copy of each new issue of its periodical on a timely basis to the Association.
To qualify for Full Membership, an e-magazine publication must in addition to the above (as applicable):
1. Be at least 51% owned by legal residents of Canada (publisher or parent organization);
2. Not have more than 50% of its editorial content composed of material that is syndicated from or reproduced from another website or publication;
3. Not contain excessive advertising, at the Board of Directors’ discretion;
4. Be updated regularly;
5. Present a clearly displayed contact page that includes at minimum, the names of the editor and publisher as well as the postal address of the publication;
6. Be a destination for users/readers rather than an email newsletter, RSS feed or similar;
7. Maintain an editorial control system where the editor is named;
8. Have been live for at least six months prior to application for membership.
Ineligible publications include:
· House organs, advertising catalogues, promotion publications, daily or weekly newspapers or publications circulated primarily to a club
· Magazines whose advertising to editorial ratio exceeds 70:30 (averaged annually)
· Magazines who do not comply with the Canadian Magazine Industry Advertising-Editorial Guidelines
· Members who are no longer in good standing
*Only parties with Full Memberships are eligible to stand for office, to vote at MagsBC meetings or to participate in referenda. Parties with other types of memberships are welcome to get involved by joining the Board, participating in a committee, or by volunteering.
Probationary Membership is open to publishers who meet the criteria for full membership outlined above except the duration of establishment.
In order to apply for Probationary Membership, publications must submit a minimum of two issues.
Probationary Members shall have the use of all services but will not be eligible to stand for office, to vote at MagsBC meetings, or participate in referenda, but are welcome to join the Board, a committee, or volunteer.
The MagsBC board of directors will review the publication at the one-year anniversary of Probationary Membership and determine if Full Membership will be offered.
Affiliate Membership is open to publishers whose magazines are ineligible for membership and other allied and trade organizations which share the aims of the Association.
In order to be considered for Affiliate Membership, applicants must submit company information.
Affiliate Members will be listed in the Magazine of Magazines and on the website and are eligible for discounts and educational services.
Associate Membership is open to BC individuals who are allied individuals who share the aims of the association, and who are freelance publishing professionals, or students.
In order to be considered for Associate Membership, applicants will submit a bio and indicate why they wish to join MagsBC.
Associate Members can access MagsBC member services, including professional development bursaries, and attend events, conferences and workshops for free, unless otherwise stated.
Supporting Membership is open to individuals who wish to join the association without applying for membership.
In return, Supporting Members get news and information, can access certain member services, and get discounts on events, conferences and workshops.
Up to 8,000 copies per year: $150
8,001-15,000 copies per year: $225
15,001-25,000 copies per year: $300
25,001-50,000 copies per year: $375
50,001-100,000 copies per year: $450
100,001-250,000 copies per year: $550
250,001-500,000 copies per year: $675
$500,001-1 million copies per year: $800
1 milion plus copies per year: $950
*Where a publisher has more than one magazine as a member, the magazine with the largest circulation pays full dues. Membership fees for any additional magazines will be 25% of the full fees for those publications.
Affiliate members: $450
Administrative fee for new or returning Full or Affiliate members: $50
Associate members: $150
Supporting members: $50 (Please contact Sylvia Skene, Executive Director, MagsBC if you would like to join as a supporting member. 604-688-1175 | email@example.com)
Please review the following documents:
1. Membership Application Forms:
Submit the appropriate application form along with the enclosures required for your desired membership category to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions about the application process or would prefer to receive an application package by mail, please contact the office at 604-688-1175 or email@example.com
If you are a print magazine and choose to email your application, please include pdfs of your magazine issues and other materials, and/or follow up with the actual issues promptly by mail.
We will acknowledge your receipt promptly, so if you don't hear back within two weeks of your submission, please follow up to make sure we received it.